Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I started this blog for three reasons:

  • To network with other ADR professionals
  • To discuss the business/marketing aspects of building a mediation practice
    • What works?
    • What doesn't?
  • To discuss mediation and the mediation process 
As an ADR professional for over 5 years I have struggled with building my practice, something I did not experience in my former law practice.

I would like to posit this question to the ADR professionals out there as well as the general public:
In a society used to waging war how does one market peace?
I look forward to your comments and discussion.  New and bold ideas are always welcome as are the tried and true.

I plan to share what I find as I continue to research this topic and I hope you will do the same.















 

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a clue in answering your question. Where I live my relatives would sooner scrap than take my offer for a free mediation. They say they can work it out.LOL. Yah, not to insightful tonite sorry. Your blog looked lonely so I thought to comment---Walter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walter - thank you for your comment anyway. Is there anything you can think of which would entice your relatives to settle their differences peacefully?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question You have stated above is also mine to ask - I'm only beginning my careerer in mediation in Poland (+/- 1 year) and I find still cannot find a good answer (solution). I might just add, that luckily I have a day job as a lawyer, because mediation in financial terms seems to be just a hobby (more investing, than receiving)...

    Michael. R. Wysocki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane - you and I I think have similar backgrounds. I too am in the process of becoming a recovering lawyer and a full time mediator. While I've talked about doing that for a couple of years I've only really begun earnest efforts to market myself in the last few months.

    I'm not sure I have the real answer to your question as this is a process I'm embarking on as well, but to this point, I'm just working on getting the word out. I find a way to work the subject of mediation into my conversations with other lawyers and then let them know that I am available for mediation services. I also follow up with an e-mail containing my CV and ask the recipients to spread the word.

    The results to this point have been minimal, but I definitely believe this is a tipping point situation, if I keep getting the word out, soon enough the phone will start ringing.

    ReplyDelete